Laura Robson suffers another comeback loss

Embed from Getty Images

By Glenys Furness

  • Laura Robson loses fifth match in a row
  • Dan Evans falls at the quarter final stage in St Brieuc

CHARLESTON,SOUTH CAROLINA, USA – Laura Robson suffered another early loss, in the qualification rounds for the Volvo Car Open.

Robson had a wildcard into qualifying and was playing the 10th seed Patricia Maria Tig. The Brit has been struggling with a return to the tour after wrist surgery so this was going to be another opportunity to try and get into a main draw.

Unfortunately it didn’t go the way Robson would have wanted as she was broken early in the first set and was unable to pull this back, losing 6-3. The second set was much the same, as the seed was still playing well and Robson was hitting more unforced errors.

Eventually the Brit was just not able to get into the match to force a third set, Tig went on to win 6-3 in the second set. The loss was the fifth in a row for the Brit having lost in the first round of Miami & Indian Wells, and early loses in qualifying Arizona and Florida ITF 25K events.

In St Brieuc Ed Corrie was in qualifying and was seeded eighth. The first round saw the Brit face a wildcard in the form of Simon Baudry. The first set was tough as neither player could get ahead, however this changed in game 11 as the Brit managed to sneak ahead before edging the set 7-5. The second set was better for the Brit as he eased into the next round taking the set 6-3.

The second round saw Corrie face Corentin Moutet and again the Brit fought hard to win the first set 7-5. The second set saw the Frenchman find something extra, to break Corrie and steal the set 6-2, this brought up the deciding set. Corrie was not going to lose this match however, and he soon stepped up a gear to make the final qualifying round, taking the set 6-2.

This match saw the Brit face the second seed Danilo Petrovic. Corrie kept his momentum going and secured the break in the first set to take the lead 6-4. The second set was much the same, and the Brit never looked like losing the match. He made the main draw after securing the second set 6-4.

In the main draw first round the Brit drew David Guez. In an enthralling first set, neither player could get away and inevitably the tiebreak ensued. The Brit really came through and took the breaker with an outstanding performance to seal the set 7-3.

The second set however, saw the Frenchman come back to dominate the set and levelled the match 6-2. The final set saw Corrie staying with Guez until the Frenchman finally got the break of serve and went on to secure the win 6-4.

Dan Evans was seeded second here and the first round saw the Brit play Salvatore Caruso. The first set was a very tight affair and landed in a tiebreak, which the Brit won comfortably 7-4. Evans soon had the measure of Caruso in the second set, and lost no time in booking his spot in round two taking the match 6-2.

Evans then faced Guez in the second round, the Brit made short work of the Frenchman taking the first set 6-3. The second set saw Evans dominate and serve up a breadstick 6-1 to book a spot in the quarter final.

The quarter final saw the Brit face Igor Sijsling, and did not get off to the best of starts. Evans got broken in the first set, which saw the Dutch player take the set 6-4.

The second saw the Brit fighting hard and saving multiple match points before forcing the tiebreak. Evans dominated the breaker and levelled up the match as he took the tiebreak 7-2. Unfortunately, in the final set Sijsling once again managed to break Evans to finally book the semi final spot 6-4.

In the doubles and Jonny Marray had teamed up with Mahesh Bhupathi and were seeded three. In the first round they faced the pairing of Lorenzo Giustino & Ramkumar Ramanathan. The Brit/Indian pair took time to get going against the non seeds, though they secured the break of serve at the right time to take the set 7-5.

The second set saw Marray/Bhupathi find their game and soon had a the lead, their opponents had no answer and the match was soon over 6-2 victory in the second set. The quarter final saw the Brit/Indian pairing face Tobias Kamke & Tristan-Samuel Weissborn.

Taking the first set to a tiebreak the third seeds dominated taking the breaker 7-2. The non seeds however, managed to get a handle on the serve of the seeds as they broke twice to take the set 6-2, a match tiebreak would settle things. The seeds were outplayed in the match tiebreak and were taken out 10-5.

In Ranaana James Marsalek was in qualifying and the first round saw him against a wildcard from Israel by the name of Motvey Radinov. In the first set both players were close together until a break of serve by the Brit sealed the set 6-4. The second set however, was a different matter. Marsalek dominated and took the set easily by serving up a breadstick (6-1).

In the second round the Brit faced Frederik Nielsen, seeded sixth. Nielsen (half of the 2012 Wimbledon men’s double champions team with Brit Jonny Marray) had to fight for the first set, before securing the break needed to take the lead 6-4. The second set saw the Dane begin to run away with the match, and Nielsen took the set 6-2. This ended Marsalek’s run in Israel.

Next week Brits are in action in Houston, Marrakech, Katowice & Napoli.