Konta and Evans in Vancouver, Robson out of New Haven

By Glenys Furness

  • Johanna Konta into Vancouver final
  • Dan Evans misses out
  • Laura Robson falls in qualifying

Vancouver, Canada – Johanna Konta and Dan Evans were both in semi final action, and had differing results. In New Haven, Conneticut, Laura Robson  was in second round qualifying.

Konta had reached the semi finals of the Odlum Brown Van Open in Vancouver, she faced Yanina Wickmayer who was the fourth seed, Konta was the seventh seed. In this match up the Brit was the underdog, but she didn’t seem to pay attention. The seventh seed was playing with a mission and got the vital break of serve in the first set, and it was sealed with the 6-4 scoreline. The second set was much the same with the Brit not letting up and breaking the Belgian at the right moments to take the set (and the match) 6-3.

Evans was also in the semi final here and was against John-Patrick Smith, Evans had come through qualifying and progressed through to the semi, taking out seeded players along the way. The Brit was playing well above his ranking, which is due to his time out of the game from injury, when it dropped dramatically, Evans made the perfect start and was soon up 4-2. The Brit was not letting the set go from here and soon had it sealed 6-4. The Australian upped his game in the next set, showing his superior play he took the set 6-2, this match was going the distance. Evans continued to play well, but the seeded player was just too good and Smith took the final set 6-3.

At the Connecticut Open Robson was in the second round of qualifying. Having played and beaten another wild card in the previous round, the Brit now faced the 13th qualifying seed Christina McHale. Robson got off to a flying start and was very soon up 3-0, breaking seemingly at will the Brit managed to take the set relatively easily at 6-2. The American seemed very much out of sorts as the second set continued in a similar vein. Robson was up and serving for the match at 5-3, but started dropping in more double faults. McHale managed to break to make it 5-4, then held serve to 5-5. After a third consecutive break it looked like this set was all over, but the Brit fought back and broke back to force the tiebreak. The seed managed to edge the breaker 7-5, so it was going the distance. Robson’s serve appeared to leave her in the final set as yet more double faults crept in, this time is was the American who was breaking at the right time. McHale won the final set 6-3 to bring the Brit’s run to and end here, the comeback is on hold for a little bit longer and the serve definitely needs working on to reduce the amount of double faults.

Play continues in Vancouver at 8pm BST.

Facebook Twitter
Instagram Vine